Tourism has become an important sector for economic growth and employment generation. With increased income levels, people’s ability to enjoy various types of tourism is on rise. However, the growth of the tourism sector in the state is highly dependent on tourism amenities. Therefore, the government has a critical role to play in developing basic infrastructure. At present most of the tourists arrival in the state is confined to Hyderabad, the state capital, and some pilgrim centers.
Source:Statistical year book - 2016- http://www.telangana.gov.in/PDFDocuments/Statistical-Year-Book-2016.pdf
EFFECTS OF CLIMATE CHANGE ON TOURISM IN TELANGANA
• Habitat loss and degradation, caused by logging for firewood and timber materials, are major threats to restricted range species
• Poaching, hunting and unsustainable exploitation threaten both flora and fauna Changes in species and ecosystem services, damage to infrastructure, water shortages and water contamination
• Tourism transportation and usage of high carbon intensive fuels in resort/tourist spots cause high levels of CO2 emissions which increase the pollution levels
• Promote low emission/fuel efficient mass transportation, to and within tourist areas e.g. battery operated vans
• Promote energy efficiency lighting, climate control equipment etc. in hotels and other areas where tourists congregate
• Promote eco-tourism to enhance environmental consciousness
• Enforce cleanliness in tourist areas
• Protect both built and natural heritage area and structures against climate related damage
INITIATIVES BY TELANGANA GOVERNMENT
In order to expose the unexplored eco-tourism spots, four tourism circuits are being developed in the state.
Eco-tourism Circuit in Nagarkarnool district:
Eco-tourism is environmentally responsible travel and visits to relatively undisturbed natural areas, in order to enjoy and appreciate nature in a way that promotes conservation, has low negative visitor impact, and provides for benefi cially active socio-economic involvement of local populations.
Hyderabad Heritage Circuit
The Hyderabad Heritage Circuit is being developed connecting four monuments, viz., QutbShahi Heritage Park, Paigah Tombs, Hayat Bakshi Begum Mosque, and Raymond’s Tomb. These sites highlight the fascinating and mixed cultural landscape of Hyderabad, and the building skills and craftsmanship encouraged by its rulers.
Source:Socio-economic outlook-2017 by planning department of Telangana- http://ecostat.telangana.gov.in/PDF/PUBLICATIONS/Socio_Economic_Outlook_2017.pdf
2) Socio-economic outlook-2017 by planning department of Telangana- http://ecostat.telangana.gov.in/PDF/PUBLICATIONS/Socio_Economic_Outlook_2017.pdf
3) Statistical year book - 2016- http://www.telangana.gov.in/PDFDocuments/Statistical-Year-Book-2016.pdf