RURAL DEVELOPMENT

Telangana State has 459 Revenue Mandals and 8687 Gram Panchayats; the average density of population in rural areas of Telangana is 194 persons per sq. km. The people of state are predominantly residing in rural areas (61.12 percent) and the rest (38.88 percent) are residing in urban areas. As per the 2011 census, rural population growth has been 2.13 percent, whereas urban population has grown by 38.12 percent, which clearly indicates the prevalence of very high rural-to-urban migration. The rural population as per 2011 census in the State is 215.85 lakhs constituting 61.33% of total population. With regard to the density of population in rural areas Adilabad and Warangal show the lowest density with 126 and 135 per km2 respectively and Nizamabad shows the highest density with 251, followed by Karimnagar, Medak and Ranga Reddy districts. The overall literacy rate is 67 per cent, which is below the national average of 73 per cent and the literacy rate in rural areas of Telangana is 57.30 per cent. Rural Development Programmes viz, Watershed Development Programme, Self Help Groups and related programmes and Employment Guarantee Schemes are being implemented. There are 47, 41,891women who have formed Self Help Group members in 4, 16,811 SHGs organized into 17,811 Village Organizations (VOs) and 438Mandal Mahila Samakhyas (MMSs). In addition to the above, there are 436MandalVikalangulaSangams, and 9 Zilla Vikalangula (ZVS).

EFFECTS OF CLIMATE CHANGE ON RURAL DEVELOPMENT IN TELANGANA

Issues-

• Deterioration of natural water resources and other ecological resources impacting the livelihood of rural population

• Due to lack of opportunities in the rural areas, there is large migration of rural population to urban areas, is in turn putting pressure on the urban infrastructure

Interventions-

• Safe Water Supply as per norms to the entire rural population and entire coverage of sewerage and sanitation for the rural population

• Study the climate change vulnerability of existing water supply and sewerage/sanitation systems

• Remodel or strengthen existing water supply and sanitation/sewerage systems to reduce vulnerability to climate change

• All-weather road connectivity to all habitations for access to goods and services, and for evacuation in emergency

• Increasing energy efficiency in street lighting and water pumping by Panchayats

• Micro credit facility for subsidizing livelihood

• Creation of new water bodies and restoration of existing water bodies

• Public education on climate change and its impacts

• Identifying villages for developing as role models in climate adaptation and sustainable livelihood

INITIATIVES BY TELANGANA GOVERNMENT

Grama Jyothi Programme

The Gram Jyothi scheme launched by Telangana is aimed at strengthening the panchayat raj system and to allow gram panchayats to formulate their own development plans. Some of the schemes by the Department of Rural development include Self Help Groups and the Community Based Organization (CBOs) under the MEPMA Society the Mission for Elimination of poverty in Municipal Areas.

Telangana Water Grid Project

A mammoth 1.26 lakh km stretch of pipelines is being laid to quench the thirst of Telangana towns and villages apart from providing water for the industrial needs at a total cost of 35,000 crore. Panchayat Raj, Rural Development, Rural Water Supply department has prepared the design for the project

Telangana Drinking Water Supply Project (TDWSP)

Telangana Drinking Water Supply Project (TDWSP) rechristened as 'Mission Bhagiratha' is a flagship programme of the State of Telangana with a vision to supply potable drinking water to all habitations up to households' level in the entire State, in line with the National Strategic plan.

 

REFERENCES:

 

1) TSAPCC- http://www.moef.gov.in/sites/default/files/Telangana.pdf

2)Sate of Environment Report-2015- http://www.eptri.com/state-of-environment-report-telangana-2015