Telangana state has the third largest power utility in the country with installed capacity of 4365.30 MW. The State has 63 power generating projects out of which 14 projects are conventional, while remaining are non-conventional plants. Non-Conventional energy is promoted by Telangana New and Renewable Energy Development Corporation Limited (TNREDCL) in the State. There are 10 mini hydel, 6 bio gas based grid generation projects, 18 biogases co-generation, 8 biomass power projects, 2 municipal solid waste-to-energy, 3 industrial waste-to-energy, and 2 wind power projects for the renewable energy generation. Except wind power projects all the new and non-conventional energy-generating units are maintained by private parties.
Power Supply Scenario- Energy deficit in Telangana for last three years was in the range of 4%-12%. Energy requirement in Telangana was 50,916 MU in FY 14-15, of which only 2,128 MU could not be met resulting in an energy deficit of nearly 4.2% with a maximum historic peak demand of 8,331 MW in 2014-15.
Demand Scenario - As per the power plan, the projected energy requirement of Telangana State is 105,974 MU (With additional 5% Reserve margin) by 2018-19 for Telangana and the anticipated peak load projected for FY 2018-19 would be around 19,053 MW.
Source: Sate of Environment Report-Telangana State 2015 http://www.eptri.com/state-of-environment-report-telangana-2015/
Source: Power for all Telangana state, A Joint Initiative of GoTS, GoI- http://powermin.nic.in/sites/default/files/uploads/Power_For_All_4_12_Final_Telangana_Signed.pdf
EFFECTS OF CLIMATE CHANGE ON ENERGY IN TELANGANA
• Increasing use of fossil fuel by energy sector
• Lack of Incentives for cleaner energy technologies
• Inadequate Promotion of renewable energy in the State
• Less emphasis on demand side management to reduce consumption
• Lack of Subsidy for new clean technologies
• Improve the efficiency of thermal power generation
• Improve the efficiency of transmission, including elimination of pilferage
• Improve the efficiency of electrical equipment, including water pumping equipment used in agriculture
• Promotion of affordable alternative energy sources i.e. solar home systems, solar street lights, and solar thermal systems.
• Rationalization of power tariff for currently subsidized sectors
• Electricity generation using non-conventional sources
Source: TSAPCC- http://www.moef.gov.in/sites/default/files/Telangana.pdf
INITIATIVES BY TELANGANA GOVERNMENT
Power for All -24x7- Power for All (24x7 PFA) is a Joint Initiative of Government of India (GoI) and State Governments with the objective to provide 24x7 power available to all households, industry, commercial businesses, public needs, any other electricity consuming entity and adequate power to agriculture farm holdings by FY 19. The state of Telangana is committed to providing 24x7 power supply to all consumer categories (excluding agriculture, for which power supply shall be as per the GoTS policy) by FY 2018- 19. Key aspects of the 24x7 PFA proposal include the following:
• Ensuring 24x7 power supply to all categories including 24 hours supply to rural category by 2017-18 (as against 15 hours supply currently)
• Ensuring 9 hours power supply to agriculture as per the policy of GoTS (as against 7 hours presently).
Solar Energy Policy-2016:
The Government of Telangana has recently announced its new solar policy. The new policy will be known as The Telangana Solar Power Policy 2015. The new Policy will come in force from the date of issue and will remain in operation for five (5) years and all the Solar Projects that are commissioned during the operative period will be eligible for the incentives declared under this policy, for a period of ten (10) years from the date of commissioning.
The objective of the Policy includes long term energy security, sustainable fuel for energy generation, promoting solar parks in the state and promoting investment in the solar sector. The policy also targets on promoting distributed and decentralized generation and off-grid solar applications.
2) Sate of Environment Report-Telangana State- 2015- http://www.eptri.com/state-of-environment-report-telangana-2015/
3) Power for all Telangana state, A Joint Initiative of GoTS, GoI- http://powermin.nic.in/sites/default/files/uploads/Power_For_All_4_12_Final_Telangana_Signed.pdf